What are webhooks
Webhooks are automated messages that get sent to some URL when something happens in the app.
Why would you use them?
Webhooks allow your apps to get a notification when something happens in Clockify so your app can take an appropriate action. For example, if a time entry is created in Clockify, webhook will let you know about it so you can send that time entry into your own system.
How are webhooks different from API?
Webhooks are useful when you need to listen for an event. For example, lets say you want to be notified when a new project is created in Clockify. By using API, you’d need to GET all projects every few hours and make custom logic to see what’s new. But with webhooks, your app can get notified when a project is created instantly, without needing to ask the system “hey, anything new?” every few minutes.
About webhooks in Clockify
- You can access webhooks from your Profile settings (it’s located below you API key)
- Each user can have up to 10 webhooks per workspace, and a workspace can have 100 in total
- Only the user who created the webhook can see and modify it
- Only workspace admins can create webhooks
Available webhooks in Clockify
- Timer started/stopped
- Time entry created/updated/deleted
- Created client/project/task/tag