Overlapping Time

Does Clockify have a feature or at least have a warning that indicates if you have logged an overlapping time? Whether it is on the same task or different task.

6 Likes

Hi Aurea!

Clockify does allow overlapping entries and there is no option to disable it.

If it did not allow overlapping, the system would have to prevent the user from adding time if there is already some time tracked in that period or it would have to automatically deal with overlapping time.

For technical and optimization reasons, there are no plans to prevent overlapping time.

However, if you have entries with overlapping start and end times, it is possible to find them in Excel or Google Sheets. You can see more about it here.

1 Like

I am a new Clockify user and finding it difficult to account for overlapping time entries for calculating payroll hours. I have seen your Google Sheets tips and tricks page but it seems overly complicated and the downloaded example dows not contain all of the formulas. How are others using Clockify for payroll and accounting for overlapping time entries? It would be handy to have overlapping time entries higjhlighted in the ā€˜Time Auditā€™ function.

3 Likes

@ladidah If you find the GSheets solution too complicated you could perhaps use the Calendar function to find overlapping time entries.

I just subscribed to a plan because of the time audit feature, just to find out that overlapping time audit is not supported. This is a must-have.

2 Likes

@jovana I understand that disallowing overlapping entries would complicate the UI, but could we at least get a visual indication of the overlap?

For example, a red line between overlapping entries in the Time Tracker view would be very helpful!

This is how the Kimai time tracker system implements it (weā€™ve just migrated from Kimai v1 and while we prefer Clockify, this is one of the things we are actually missing from the earlier system) :

BTW, if you implement something like this, it could be re-used to indicate (with a line in another color) any pause/gap (like lunch) between entries during the same day! That would also be very helpful, and give a better overview than the (sometimes cluttered) Calendar view.

1 Like

Here is a quick example of how this could look in Clockify, with a green line for (lunch) break and a red liine for overlap between entries:
Clockify_overlap_mod

Colors and line width etc can be adjusted, of course, but this is the general ideaā€¦

2 Likes

Also, here is another post that suggests basically the same idea:

2 Likes

Hi @GoranW!

Thank you for your amazing suggestions.

I definitely understand how this could be useful for you and I have submitted your suggestion and references to our Product team, in order for them to consider it for future upgrades.

For now, I would like to notify you that we do plan to include option for Breaks, where they will be specifically labeled with tags, therefore it will help you differentiate entries for lunch breaks and regular time entries.

The feature is still in the designing phase, therefore I donā€™t have an exact ETA on this, although you are able to follow our roadmap to stay updated about upcoming features.

Thank you once again for bringing this idea to the team and feel free to let us know if thereā€™s anything else we can help with.

Cheers!

Exactly! The system should precisely do that. It doesnā€™t make sense to have overlapping time entries for the same project does it? Plus one thing Iā€™m seeing very frequently is the following:

• I start clocking the time
  • I stop it at some point. I get an error (something on the lines of ā€œwe couldnā€™t find an active time entryā€)
  • Later, when I need to clock time again, I start a new time entry, which I stop when Iā€™m done, with no errors

At the end of the day I realize that the time entry that could not be stopped was still running in the background. I notice that because the amount of clocked hours is ridiculously high. So I have to search for the anomalous time entry in the history and delete it. This is very annoying, the only annoying thing to me about an otherwise pretty solid product.

All this could be avoided if clockify would prevent or at least warn about overlapping time entries in the same project. Itā€™s really not difficult to implement and such a no brainer IMO.

2 Likes

Hi @maxmarcon!
Welcome to Clockify Forum.

Thank you for sharing details about this case, however since this is not an expected behavior, kindly reach out to us at support@clockify.me and we will gladly investigate issue with the ā€˜backgroundā€™ timer.

We do understand the overlapping entries issue, and I have forwarded yours and previous suggestions to the Product team, so they can consider it for the future.

Weā€™ll wait for your email in order to look further into the mentioned issue with the timer.

Cheers!

Thanks @Joanna, this is very appreciated.

1 Like

Thank you!

However, please do get in touch with us in order for our team to look further into the error notification you mentioned.

Cheers!

1 Like

Email sent to support@clockify.me

1 Like

Hello Jovana,
Please, put an option to disable overlapping entries, at least to be set by the manager. It is easy to make a mistake. Also, It required a lot of time to check it. Being a user is a very annoying situation.
It is just a matter of visualizaciĆ³n. I think it would not be too complicated to fix it.
Thank you.
Fernando

2 Likes

Thank you for reaching out Fernando!

While itā€™s not possible to disable overlapping entries, I have just added your vote for this feature, so our team can consider it for future updates.

What I can suggest for now is to use Excel or Google sheets to locate overlapped entries easier. For this, please check here.

Weā€™re here in case you have any additional suggestions.

Cheers!

It is an absolute no-go for a time tracking app to accept overlapping time entries without any warning. If I have to use Excel to avoid that, then I donā€™t need a time tracker. Sorry Joanna, but thatā€™s absolutely essential. When I noticed the first time, that Clockify accepts overlapping entries and counts them twice, I could hardly believe it!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the feedback with us.

Please note that you would be also able to add your vote on this feature by submitting the feature suggestion form which can be found on this link here.

Every feedback is highly appreciated!

One of the suggestions I can also provide at the moment is that if the time was recorded via time tracker there will be no issues as timer will always start from the moment when it was started (Force timer can further enhance this feature as regular users wonā€™t be able to make any changes to the time entries.)

In cases where manual input of the time is involved, unfortunately I donā€™t have any workaround that could potentially help to at least identify. Maybe the calendar option where overlapping time entries will be represented like in the example below:

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback!

But Iā€™m experiencing overlapping (or parallel) time entries when using the automatic time tracker. I donā€™t exactly know, how they come to existence, but the time tracker creates them.

@Roland
If the overlapping time entries are happening while using the Timer, my best advice I can give you would be to contact the Clockify Support at support@clockify.me so they can check it out, as while using the stopwatch this should not happen at all since stopwatch will always have start time from the moment when it was started.