How to keep a balance of overtime / comp time

At our company don’t get payed for overtime, instead we keep track of the number of hours of overtime we have, and then we can use them to take a long lunch or end early on fridays.

I really though we would be able to use the new time off feature for this but it doesn’t look promising.

I’m able to add a policy for “comp” time where I can see how many hours a specific employee has.
but there is no easy way for the employees to mark a task as overtime, or to specify how many hours they should do in a day and everything over those 8 hours, should be added to the comp time tab.

Are there any plans on implementing something like this?

1 Like

Hi Leon, welcome to Clockify Forum!

Clockify doesn’t currently have a specific feature for tracking overtime.
What most users find helpful is creating a tag “overtime” so that you can assign it to time entries you work overtime to know which hours are over when you run your reports. Then, for example in Excel, you could deal with these hours manually.

And thanks for your feedback, it has been noted down.

Dear Jane and Leon,

I also pointed out this question some time ago.
Working with overtime-tags does not work for our company. We have high and low seasons and get time for time.
It would be very easy if we could put the “total target hours” per month (or day/week) and the system just compares with total worked hours that month.

For now I export the hours to an excell sheet to make the comparison, but I’m sure Clockify can help us saving time in these manual manipulations ;-).

This feature is really needed, to keep track of +/- hours of employees.
Also I don’t see the benefit of putting hours/day for an employee, if I can’t use it at all afterwards. From my humble developer opinion, with the data already present in Clockify it should be a minor task to keep a running total of +/- hours just comparing hours/day to the actual tracked hours each day.

Everything else I need, I have in Clockify.

1 Like

Hi all,

Thank you for your feedback.

I will gladly submit your requests for creating target hours comparing to tracked hours as a feature suggestion to our Product team so they can reconsider it for further upgrades of Clockify.

For now, I would suggest a workaround of using Time estimate for projects, which would allow you to see all tracked time on a project compared to the planned working hours.

Also, we are planning on developing a feature “Time in Lieu” which would allow users to transfer Overtime as a Time off. You are welcome to follow updates about this feature on our roadmap.

I hope this helps. Cheers!

1 Like

In a previous system, there was a simple way of addressing this. We were allowed to enter negative hours numbers. We made a code Time in Lieu. If a user had say 6 hrs of extra time, they would book the extra 6 hrs to their project, but instead of booking 37.5 + 6 = 43.5 hrs for that week they’d also book -6hrs to Time in Lieu to balamce the weekly hrs to 37.5. When they take time off, they enter eg 31.5 “normal” hrs plus 6 hrs TiL and all balances.

PS. What we are doing for now, is that we made a Leave code “Time in Lieu”. When ppl work significant extra time, they ask their manager to give them TiL. The manager then manually adds eg 6 hrs to their TiL balance. The employee can then take it. With negative balances not allowed, they can obviously only take what they already earned and what’s been approved.

Hello Guemar,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback!

I’ll gladly pass this along to our team.

Cheers!