How to disable / change shortcuts in a Windows application?

The latest update to Clockify for Windows introduced keyboard shortcuts.
Unfortunately this has made my system unusable when Clockify is running in the background because I cannot enter Polish characters like ś and ć.
When I try to enter these characters using for example ALT GR + S, nothing happens, but Clockify starts time tracking,

Hi @rafaucau, thanks for the feedback. We are working on this issue, I will let you know when we fix it.

Have a nice day!

@Aleksandar_K Ok, I installed the Clockify app again and when I try to run the app, the Clockify icon appears in the taskbar notification arena and disappears after a second. It looks like the app silently crashes.

Hi @rafaucau, thanks for the feedback, I noted it down and I will let you know when we fix this.

Have a nice day!

I fixed this by removing the Clockify data from appdata and the Windows Registry.

Great, I’m glad to hear that :smile:

Similar issue for me. When clicking alt gr + Q (on German keyboards this is the shortcut for an “@” sign) this closes the app.
This kind of makes the app unusable, as I close the app every time I want to write an email.
Any workaround available yet to disable shortcuts?

Hi @Dennis, welcome to Clockify Forum!

Kindly note that it’s available to disable Global shortcuts. Just go to Preferences, then General tab and you will see the checkbox ‘Enable global shortcuts’, you can just uncheck it and shortcuts will be disabled.

Hope this helps.

That helped, tyvm!
btw, in the German version of your app the setting is called “Aktivieren Sie globale Verknüpfungen” which is a bit misleading, as “Verknüpfungen” is not the correct translation for “shortcuts”. You would either stick with “shortcuts”, it’s commonly used in German as well, or go with “Tastaturkürzel” which is less common but the correct translation.

Thanks @Dennis, I’ll forward your suggestion to our team!

Hello, can’t see any checkboxies ‘Enable global shortcuts’

1 Like

Hi,

After desktop app update to 1.7.0 I found several issues that are almost gamebreakers for me:

• Clockify started globally hooking keys even if app is inactive. Now I can’t refresh my browser via F5 because it is intercepted by Clockify and refreshes the app state. And any apps’ shortcuts that interfere with Clockify desktop stopped working.
  • Start/stop shortcut was by default set to Ctrl+C and bulk editing feature was disabled on free plan. Well, I understand the term ‘aggressive marketing’, but I believe that approach is too aggressive. ‘Thanx’ for the necessity deleting manually one by one dozens of several seconds log items accidentally created by Ctrl+C pressings until I finally understood that Clockify app globally hooked my keyboard.

To be constructive:

1. Stop global keyboard hooking - that approach breaks shortcuts in all apps. Or provide a way to disable it in settings - now it is impossible. BTW, it is almost keylogger :-\
  2. Don’t set default start/stop shortcut to standard ‘Copy’ action - Ctrl+C

For now I uninstalled clockify app and will use web version and hope you will fix again this issue.

2 Likes

Hi guys.

I have the same problem as Maksim. I think I’m going to uninstall Clockify for now, until the problem can be fixed.

I thought the suggestions Maksim made were good, by the way.

On the other hand, thanks for all the work you do, Clockify programmers, to keep this program and make it free for people.

Gabriel

I fail to understand how this got through internal testing!? Are you using Clockify internally?
Sorry for the following rant, but it took some time to find Clockify as the culprit:

First of, it grabs all keys and snags all that could be remotely un(useful) for Clockify, like all F-keys and does nothing with it?
Then somebody had the great idea of using the completely unknown shortcut “Strg + C” to start/stop a timer? (side note: “Strg + D” is used by many VSCode Developers for selecting the next word)
And to top it all of you removed the global option for disabling all shortcuts?
Rant -off

Please do something about it, there are already many great ideas in this conversation.
Maybe just roll back the update.

As there is no Workaround: Uninstalled the app for now and using the web interface manually…

Hi everyone. Our team released the fix for the issue with the shortcuts with the v1.7.1 Could you please update your Clockify Windows apps to the latest version and it should work as expected. Cheers!

2 Likes

Looks like it is useable. Thanx for the quick reaction and fix.