Global hotkeys

Hi All,
I am new to clockify. Could you tell me whether it is possible to set up global hotkeys to add a new task and start the timer?
I have seen that there is a clockify-cli project in github. What are your experiences with that cli?

Hi there, here is the list of all the shortcuts available in Clockify:

Web

Keyboard shortcuts can be used on the Time Tracker page and will only work when you are not editing any fields (when your cursor is not active).

• n = start N ew timer;
  • c = C ontinue latest entry.
  • s = S top current timer;
  • m = switch to M anual mode;

macOS desktop app

In order for shortcuts to work, your cursor needs to be focused on the Clockify window.

• Cmd+S = Start the timer
  • Cmd+T = Stop the timer
  • Cmd+N = Enter manual time entry mode
  • Shift + Cmd + S = Save time entry when editing
  • Cmd+Y = Sync data
  • Cmd+L = Log out

You can also define your own custom global shortcut for start/stop timer and hide/show app in Settings > Preferences > General.

Browser extension (Chrome, Firefox)

• Ctrl+Shift+U = start/stop a timer without having to open the extension

Also, please note there is no shortcut for adding new task. To add a new task, please navigate to the Projects tab on the left sidebar menu, click on a desired project and add task manually.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

I have found these as well. Unfortunately these hotkeys work only if the clockify app is active (when its window has a focus). What I need is a global hotkey. I often got interrupts when I need to switch between tasks instantly and I have neither the time or the will to first find the window, where clockify is active and use the hotkey. It seems to me that such a feature is not available.

Hi,

That is correct, the window needs to be in focus in order for the shortcuts to work.

An option that I could recommend trying would be either using our extension which would allow you easy access to your timer from any tab.
Alternatively, you can try keeping the app on top of other apps so that you have easy access to the window.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Hey there, I found a solution using an external app. I’m using raycast (because its free), but i THINK using Alfred would acheive the same thing. Basically it’s a replacement for MacOS’ Spotlight bar, and you can download the CLockify extension and set global hotkeys (no matter which window is active). I hope this helps! I personally don’t use the stopwatch function but it sounds helpful for those who do.

1 Like

Hi,

Here is a solution if you are using Google Chrome on a Mac:

1. Download the Clockify Time Tracker app and enable the Clockify Time Tracker chrome extension.
  2. Log in to Clockify and create a project that you will save all of your time under.
  3. In the Clockify chrome extension go to ‘Settings’ and make sure you check on Default Project (with the Project title you just created) and check on Start/Stop Timer Shortcut (which is pre-set to CTRL+SHIFT+U on a Mac).
  4. Now from the main Google Chrome control menu go to Window and then Extensions.
  5. In the ‘My Extensions’ page make sure that Clockify Time Tracker is ‘on’, and ‘pin to toolbar’ is also on.
  6. Lastly go back to the main Extensions window, you will see a ‘Keyboard Shortcuts’ link. Click into it. From here you can add/change the Quick Start/Stop Current Entry hotkeys and the ‘Activate Extension’ hotkeys. It helps to know what your hotkeys your computer is already using, so do a quick google to make sure you dont reassign the hotkey to something important.
  7. Make sure your Clockify time tracker is set to timer mode and not manual entry and that your Project is set to default. You should be able to start/stop the timer with the hotkeys whenever you are in Chrome.

hope this helps